Wednesday, May 23, 2007

jacob blickenstaff

I met

jacob blickenstaff

at the 2006 ponderosa stomp. the st louis native blew in from brooklyn to shatter me - and everyone else who's seen his work - with his performance shots. jacob and his fiancee, the fabulous emma, came back to memphis for new year's eve, and then I caught up with him again in new orleans earlier this month for the sixth annual ponderosa stomp. contrary to my every instinct, jacob largely avoided the crush at the front of the stage and instead set up a portrait booth, guiding artists over before and after their performances. those pictures - not yet on his site - are phenomenal, like road maps to guide you through the lives of these great musicians, every moment lived etched on their faces. I know some day I'll tell my grandkids that I knew this guy when he was just starting out - his shots are that incredible. just gaze at this one, of syl johnson in 2006.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger